This cobbler-like recipe is one my mother in law makes. It’s a great way to use up leftover berries. I like to make it when berries are on sale at the grocery store.
The blackberries & raspberries in this skillet scream summer, but the yummy pie & rustic biscuit crust make it totally appropriate for fall. So make it now then make it again in a couple of months! It’s perfect for this time of year when we’re starting to transition (hopefully) to cooler weather. It’s basically a berry cobbler, but much more rustic.
You’ll need berries, flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, half & half, lemon zest, a cinnamon stick, raspberries & blackberries.
First you’ll make the biscuit dough for the topping, then divide it into 4 parts & place aside.
Next, you’ll cook the filling in a cast iron skillet. The berries will break down building up a thick, sweet sauce.
Biscuits will go on top & steam over the berry filling. Once they’ve cooked through, the skillet goes into the oven to give everything a nice brown color.
PS- I’m using a small cast iron skillet here, to fill a full size one you’ll need to double this recipe.
It’s best served with fresh whipped cream! Vanilla ice cream is good too.
Here’s the printable recipe—>
- 3/4 c flour
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbs cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 Tbs half & half
- 6 Tbs sugar + more for sprinkling
- 6 oz raspberries
- 6 oz blackberries
- 1/2 c water
- 3/4 tsp lemon zest
- cinnamon stick
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder & salt.
- Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Stir the half & half into the mixture until dough forms.
- Scoop the dough into 4 biscuits & place on waxed paper. Set aside.
- Combine berries, lemon zest, water & cinnamon stick in a small cast iron skillet.
- Bring to a boil & simmer 10 minutes, until berries break down & thicken.
- Arrange biscuits on top of fruit & cover. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, until biscuits are cooked through.
- Sprinkle biscuits with sugar & broil in oven for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove cinnamon stick & serve immediately.
- Best served with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- **Double recipe for a full size cast iron skillet
PS- Linking up at my fave places, check ’em out!