Last week I had the honor of cooking chili with my lovely mother. We spent the morning simmering 2 big ole pots on the stove, you may have caught it on Instagram. For some reason I’d had previous troubles making chili & needed her help. Surprisingly, it was totally easy. Like just dumping everything in a pot easy. No measuring or chopping necessary at all. So, I am sharing one of my very favorite recipes with you today, for Red Texas Chili.
The smell of this stuff makes me remember chilly, winter nights as kid. We ate this over Frito’s quite often, it was a menu staple. Probably because it was something all of us actually ate & enjoyed. When my Nana makes it she makes a huge batch & freezes it in jars (just like my meat sauce) for quick meals later on. There’s usually not enough left for that when my mom makes it though!
It’s kind of cheating actually, but it’s easy & amazing & not even bad for you! Serve it over Frito’s, a hotdog, or alongside a few hunks of Jiffy cornbread. Can’t beat it!
Here’s the handy dandy printable to make your own!
- False alarm or 2 alarm chili kit seasoning packet (Wick Fowlers)
- 2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1-6 oz can tomato paste
- 1-8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-15 oz can red beans
- 2 c + ¼ c water
- Diced onion, cheddar cheese, sour cream for garnish
- Brown meat & drain fat.
- Add all cans of tomatoes & seasoning packets, except for masa.
- Add beans & 2 c. water. Simmer for 30 min.
- Mix masa packet with ¼ c. water & stir into chili.
- Simmer for another 30 min.
- If chili is too thick for your liking, add another cup of water & let simmer for an additional 15 min.
- Serve over Frito's, cornbread or hotdogs with diced onion, shredded cheddar cheese & sour cream.
Don’t forget to pin it for later!
Make sure you have all the proper garnishes on hand too. I like diced onion, shredded cheese & sour cream. The topping trifecta.
You might need to try some of these recipes too!
Enjoy your chili folks!
PS- Linking up at some of my fave places, check ’em out!